As I alluded yesterday, the cunning plan behind getting broadband (of a kind) to the house was to make it possible to work from home, courtesy of a VOIP phone. The phone in question apparently downloads software from the switch *every* time it powers up (you'd think it would check the version first, but no...) So last night around 4 I tried plugging in the VOIP phone.
The download failed, the phone reset. The download failed, the phone reset. (repeat until I gave up and unplugged the phone.) Much mourning ensued, and some googling of how to tune things for this kind of link.
This morning I woke up thinking "Wait. Peak time usage was last night. Maybe I should try again." So I plugged it in, wandered off to deal with breakfast and the landscaping guy and.... when I got back to my desk, the damned thing was UP.
Just called elflet with it as a proof of concept. Sure, satellite delay, but it works. I am so amazed.
Now to haul trash, hay horses, and go up to HorsExpo in Sac.